TomTheGeek

All the geeky stuff that gets me hot.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

I Heart Bart PE

I got a hold of a busted laptop that had been struck by lightning and the hard drive no longer works recently. I was originally going to try and turn the LCD into a stand alone display but it turns out that is very hard to do because they leave out the important parts for you to be able to do that. Since the only thing broken is the hard drive I was able to build a Bart's Boot Cd with Bart PE that has drivers for my wireless card and runs Firefox. That's all I really need it to do, I like to have an internet terminal in the living room in front of the TV. You can get almost any app to run under Bart, Firefox is just the tip of the iceburg.

Bart PE isn't something new, it has been around for quite a while but except in recovery CD's I havn't had a reason to use it. I thought about using a Linux boot CD like a live SuSe disc but I had a lot of problems getting SuSe 9.2 to recognize my WiFi card before so I don't have much hope. Since Bart PE is just a stripped down version of XP I had no problem getting it to recognize the card.

Now if I can just get the battery working it would be perfect.

1 Comments:

  • Yup.. I use BART PE all of the time here at work...it has saved many of our end users alot of grief and years of lost work...

    check me out at: IT Help Support

    By Blogger IT-Helper, at 4:02 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home