TomTheGeek

All the geeky stuff that gets me hot.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The ROKR is finally here

I'm not sure exactly how long the iTunes phone rumors have been going around but it's been a really long time. Today we finally got to see this elusive phone ( called the ROKR ) and hear how it's going to work. Engadget has more info on the ROKR. Apple also announced the iPod Nano and killed the iPod Mini. The Nano is a mix of the Shuffle and Mini as it's flash based but has a color screen and a click wheel. It's smaller than a Mini but wider than a shuffle. I'm kind of disapointed in the ROKR, but I'm excited in what it will do for the mobile music business.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as music on your phone is concerned. I have 1Gb in my phone that I can use to store and play Mp3's but that is definitely the exception, most phones don't have much more than 128mb if you don't count Pocket PCs (I don't, they are way to big to be a practical phone). I think this phone will push the trend of having large storage on phones and get people to ditch their iPod in favor of a device that does everything. I almost bought a hard drive based MP3 player but in the end I knew it would stay at home because they don't fit well in my pocket and it's just another gadget to worry about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home