TomTheGeek

All the geeky stuff that gets me hot.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Farewell TiVo

I like my TiVo, I really do, but I think it is time for a trial seperation. I found my TiVo at a Goodwill second-hand store for the bargain price of $20. It was marked as busted but I bought it anyways because I was hoping that the HD would at least be salvagable. Turns out nothing was wrong with it all as far as I can tell. I can't test the modem cause I don't have a phone line, but that doesn't matter because it had the network adapter in it and I have broadband at home so I just get the updates over the network. I had to buy a remote for it but that was a good idea anyways because I was able to get rid of all our other remotes. Once I knew it was working properly I set about hacking it so I could extract shows from it among many other enhancements. I've been using it for a couple years now and it has become my friend.

I like my TiVo and I am sad to see it go. I ordered the cable company's generic DVR and they are coming to install it tomorrow. Why? The main reason was that it doesn't support digital audio. I get digital cable and have a surround sound system that I would like to use when I can. TiVo has been going downhill though, and unless they turn the ship around right quick they are going under. Instead of adding features they are removing them. I just heard today that they are not allowing you to save certain shows indefinitley. I have been shielded from most of these "features" because mine is a series 1 TiVo that they have stopped releasing updates for but I would be raving mad if I had a series 2.

We'll see how this new younger prettier DVR works out, and if it's even a smidgen better there will be one more TiVo on eBay for sale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home