TomTheGeek

All the geeky stuff that gets me hot.

Friday, December 02, 2005

DD-WRT on my WRT54GS


I just bought a new wireless router and of course I had to get a Linksys WRT54GS that has the open source firmware. I choose to install DD-WRT for now, I really don't have that advanced needs and DD is easily able to handle them. You can do some really crazy stuff with these routers and with the third party firmware can match almost all of the features of the much more expensive Cicso units. Hopefully I will be able to set up my VPN again, it has been down for a long time because I couldn't get it to work through my old router. Having VPN access would be really nice.

Update: I haven't needed to yet but I may add a parabolic antenna like the type found at FreeAntennas.com. They require no special hardware and do not require voiding the warranty on the router.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home